Stay Safe on the 4th of July

July 3, 2012

|

admin

Fusion wishes everyone a happy and safe 4th of July! Here are a few tips to make sure the holiday goes smoothly for all members of the family.

Safety Tips for People:

  • Never allow children to touch fireworks of any kind, including sparklers even after they have "gone off". It can be hot, or even explosive and debris from fireworks can be extremely dangerous.
  • Older teens should only be allowed to use fireworks under close adult supervision.
  • Fireworks must never be used while drinking alcohol or using other drugs.
  • Obey all local laws.
  • If allowed in your area and you choose to do so, buy fireworks only from reliable sellers.
  • Store fireworks in a dry, cool place.
  • Only use fireworks outdoors and always have a good amount of water close by (a garden hose and a bucket), in case of emergency.
  • Read and follow label directions.
  • Light only one firework at a time.
  • Never hold any part of your body directly over the firework while lighting it.
  • Be sure all other people are out of range before lighting fireworks.
  • Never throw or point fireworks at anyone.
  • Never light fireworks in a container, especially a metal or glass container.
  • Never light fireworks near a house or building, dry leaves or grass, or any other materials that can catch on fire.
  • Never re-light a "dud" firework. Instead, wait 15 to 20 minutes, then soak it in a bucket of water and throw it away.

Safety Tips for Pets:

  • Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can reach them. Alcoholic beverages have the potential to poison pets. If ingested, the animal could become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed or could go into a coma. Death from respiratory failure is
  • also a possibility in severe
    cases.
  • Do not apply any sunscreen or insect repellent product to your pet that is not labeled specifically for use on animals. Ingestion of sunscreen products can result in drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy. The misuse of insect repellent that contains DEET can lead to neurological problems.
  • Always keep matches and lighter fluid out of your pets’ reach. Certain types of matches contain chlorates, which could potentially damage blood cells and result in difficulty breathing—or even kidney disease in severe cases. Lighter fluid can be irritating to skin, and if ingested can produce gastrointestinal irritation and central nervous system depression. If lighter fluid is inhaled, aspiration pneumonia and breathing problems could develop.
  • Keep your pets on their normal diet. Any change, even for one meal, can give your pets severe indigestion and diarrhea. This is particularly true for older animals who have more delicate digestive systems and nutritional requirements. And keep in mind that foods such as onions, chocolate, coffee, avocado, grapes & raisins, salt and yeast dough can all be potentially toxic to companion animals.
  • Do not put glow jewelry on your pets, or allow them to play with it. While the luminescent substance contained in these products is not highly toxic, excessive drooling and gastrointestinal irritation could still result from ingestion, and intestinal blockage could occur from swallowing large pieces of the plastic containers.
  • Keep citronella candles, insect coils and oil products out of reach. Ingestions can produce stomach irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression. If inhaled, the oils could cause aspiration pneumonia in pets.
  • Never use fireworks around pets! While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets, even unused fireworks can pose a danger. Many types contain potentially toxic substances, including potassium nitrate, arsenic and other heavy metals.
  • Loud, crowded fireworks displays are no fun for pets, so please resist the urge to take them to Independence Day festivities. Instead, keep your little guys safe from the noise in a quiet, sheltered and escape-proof area at home.
Contact Us